Friday, February 18, 2011

My first project: Purple polka dot apron

So this was my first project. A little ruffled apron that I was inspired to make from a friend's blog. I wanted to buy one with my tax return, but seeing her blog, I decided to make my own! It turned out to be a wonderful fun project. So. Here's how it went.


This was my mother's sewing machine that I've borrowed so far for all my projects. My goal is to buy my own. But I already got a new laptop with my return, so it'll have to wait a few more paychecks. And that is my siamese kitten becoming cat, Freezie. She makes frequent appearances.


This was my fabric for my project. I'm a sucker for purple, and well, this was a little bit retro, and I fell in love with it!


This is my husband and my brother in law. Playing xbox was what they did the whole time I was working on my apron. Helpful bunch.


My pattern for the project I am making. The second from the right is the actual one I decided on.


This was my "cutting table". I live in a one bedroom apartment, so I don't have a whole lot of space. So I used my entry hallway. It was all perfectly set out... until...


Yes... Freezie strikes again. For some reason, whenever I'm working on something, she has to be involved. She's a momma's girl. SO. Later on, my husband and I had to relay this out after she'd spent the whole time I was cutting patterns pouncing and tearing at it.


Tada! Patterns laid out. And yes, I had about an extra half yard of material I bought, just in case, since I'm always messing up something 


My "sewing area". Yes, it was a patch of floor in the middle of all the foot traffic. Very very convenient. I'm resourceful. Pride myself on that fact.


There I was talking with my online bestie, jennamae. As well as that little art briefcase, was my cutting table. My hard flat surface to cut the patterns out once I had them snipped from the bigger piece.


This was my first layer of my ruffled skirt for the apron. I just finished putting the double fold tape on the lining. I've never done it before, and it was a little time consuming, but I was so proud how it looked so professional afterwards.


And the second layer...


And finally the third! There's my skirt!


By this point, my kitty was invading so much I was about ready to strangle her. So. Brother in law away to try and stop her from messing with me.


So. I made many mistakes during my project. This was the only one I got on camera. Sewing together the three ruffly layers together, a little oopsy with one of the ruffles being caught up in the seam above it. I didn't have a seam ripper...


So! This was my seam ripper. A little narrow knife my husband got for Christmas. Surprisingly, it worked rather well. I've used it on a couple of projects.


Here is the ruffled layers connected to the bib of the apron. It turned out to be a bit narrow for my tastes, but this was my first working from a pattern in a long time, so I wasn't too comfortable deviating from the pattern. 


This was the end of night one. Unfortunately, after this night, I didn't take any more photos. Until the end. SO. After an addition of some shoulder straps, which I added a bit of length to, but you can't really tell, and waist ties, here is the finished product! I am super proud of it!


Ta da! 


Not sure why this is sideways, but it is mostly to show that the straps criss cross.


So. First project and first blog! Hopefully I can bring a little inspiration to someone somewhere. Coming soon, a little pink sundress, possibly banana bread, and a quilted bag!


No comments:

Post a Comment