This was my mother's sewing machine that I've borrowed so far for all my projects. My goal is to buy my own. But I already got a new laptop with my return, so it'll have to wait a few more paychecks. And that is my siamese kitten becoming cat, Freezie. She makes frequent appearances.
This was my fabric for my project. I'm a sucker for purple, and well, this was a little bit retro, and I fell in love with it!
This is my husband and my brother in law. Playing xbox was what they did the whole time I was working on my apron. Helpful bunch.
My pattern for the project I am making. The second from the right is the actual one I decided on.
This was my "cutting table". I live in a one bedroom apartment, so I don't have a whole lot of space. So I used my entry hallway. It was all perfectly set out... until...
Yes... Freezie strikes again. For some reason, whenever I'm working on something, she has to be involved. She's a momma's girl. SO. Later on, my husband and I had to relay this out after she'd spent the whole time I was cutting patterns pouncing and tearing at it.
Tada! Patterns laid out. And yes, I had about an extra half yard of material I bought, just in case, since I'm always messing up something
My "sewing area". Yes, it was a patch of floor in the middle of all the foot traffic. Very very convenient. I'm resourceful. Pride myself on that fact.
There I was talking with my online bestie, jennamae. As well as that little art briefcase, was my cutting table. My hard flat surface to cut the patterns out once I had them snipped from the bigger piece.
This was my first layer of my ruffled skirt for the apron. I just finished putting the double fold tape on the lining. I've never done it before, and it was a little time consuming, but I was so proud how it looked so professional afterwards.
And the second layer...
And finally the third! There's my skirt!
By this point, my kitty was invading so much I was about ready to strangle her. So. Brother in law away to try and stop her from messing with me.
So. I made many mistakes during my project. This was the only one I got on camera. Sewing together the three ruffly layers together, a little oopsy with one of the ruffles being caught up in the seam above it. I didn't have a seam ripper...
So! This was my seam ripper. A little narrow knife my husband got for Christmas. Surprisingly, it worked rather well. I've used it on a couple of projects.
Here is the ruffled layers connected to the bib of the apron. It turned out to be a bit narrow for my tastes, but this was my first working from a pattern in a long time, so I wasn't too comfortable deviating from the pattern.
This was the end of night one. Unfortunately, after this night, I didn't take any more photos. Until the end. SO. After an addition of some shoulder straps, which I added a bit of length to, but you can't really tell, and waist ties, here is the finished product! I am super proud of it!
Not sure why this is sideways, but it is mostly to show that the straps criss cross.
So. First project and first blog! Hopefully I can bring a little inspiration to someone somewhere. Coming soon, a little pink sundress, possibly banana bread, and a quilted bag!